Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wandering around the CBD

Matthew is still away on the work outing at Port Stephens, so I walked around the CBD (Central Business District) today - through Hyde Park, into the Anzac Memorial, into St. Mary's Cathedral, into David Jones department store, etc.

This is an Australian white ibis, hanging out in a fountain in Hyde Park. Apparently they are common and hang out in urban areas, just like pigeons. Check out that beak!

This is St. Mary's Cathedral, seen from Hyde Park. It's the seat of the Catholic archbishop of Sydney, and the largest Gothic cathedral in the southern hemisphere.

I also did my first grocery shopping in Australia. Check out my first groceries, including Coon brand tasty cheese. "Tasty" is a variety of cheese here, like cheddar or colby.

There were a lot of mystifying foods, and most things are more expensive in the U.S., except for kiwi fruits, which were something like 8 for $2.

Speaking of expensive, earlier in the day I'd gone into the newsagent and bought a small bottle of Diet Coke and a packet of M&Ms and thought I heard wrong when he said the total was $5.30.

Here's a link to my pics from the day.

6 comments:

Diana Morrow August 19, 2010 at 11:38:00 PM GMT+10  

Um, "coon" as a brand name? Does the word not have the same racist history there as it does here...?

And is that avocado in a tin – ?

Tamara August 20, 2010 at 1:24:00 AM GMT+10  

Looks like the grocery shopping of a single gal... complete with trashy magazine. I love it! :-)

Megan August 20, 2010 at 1:28:00 AM GMT+10  

I really want to know more about tasty cheese. If you had to compare the flavor to another type of cheese, what would it be?

Also, I'm super jealous that it's so sunny there in winter. It's beautiful!

Tom August 20, 2010 at 2:08:00 AM GMT+10  

The food layout looks like the pictures backpackers take of their backpack contents before loading it.

btw, I once made the mistake of saying, "So I sliced up a kiwi" in front of a friend from New Zealand. She said, "Please! You 'sliced up a kiwi FRUIT'. New Zealanders are refered to as 'Kiwis'."

Unknown August 20, 2010 at 5:35:00 AM GMT+10  

So I think you should send us the TimTam so that I could give it to my husband. Then it would be Tom's TimTam. (dorky!)

Amanda August 31, 2010 at 1:53:00 AM GMT+10  

Diana - No, I really don't think it does.
Also, it's an avocado spread that has something in it I can't quite place (lemon?), but it's been open for a while and hasn't turned brown, so must have lots of preservatives in it!

Megan - I can't describe it very well. It's pretty mild for being so Tasty. It's kinda like a white cheddar or Monterey Jack.

About This Blog

We are a 30-something American couple who moved to Sydney, Australia on 15 August 2010.

Subscribe in a reader

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Free Blogger Templates

Back to TOP