Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Americas! (Part IV)

Monday - travel day. We did the 8 hour drive from Tulsa to Houston with D&D.

Before hitting the road I had some x-rays taken of a small bone spur on my right tibia. (Diagnosis: benign.)

Overheard by Amanda in the clinic's waiting room:

(To be read in an Oklahoman accent)

Old Lady 1: "I tell you, computers are the devil. They got your whole life on there. Except when you want them to."
Old Lady 2: "mmm hmmm. I expect you're right."

Items spotted:

  • Longhorn steer
  • Camels
  • Heaps of extra-denominational churches (e.g. Christ Bible Church of the Savior)
  • Religious bumper stickers
  • Intense thunderstorms
  • Flooding in Paris, TX.  (I have finally been to Paris, France and Paris, TX)
  • HUGE lightning strikes
  • Natural gas wells
  • Buzzards
  • A hawk
  • Horses
  • Ponies (!)
  • Cattle
  • Wild hog traps for sale
  • Goats
  • Big box stores (so many...)
An exchange I had with the woman running an antique store in Canton, TX (pop. 5,100) at which we stopped along the way:

Me: "Do you know if there is anything like a Starbucks* in town?"
Her: "Oh gosh, we don't have anything fancy like that here!"

* Desperate times call for desperate measures.

1 comments:

Angie May 7, 2011 at 5:50:00 AM GMT+10  

I feel a bit strange saying this, but your posts make me want to visit Texas.

About This Blog

We are a 30-something American couple who moved to Sydney, Australia on 15 August 2010.

Subscribe in a reader

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 | Free Blogger Templates

Back to TOP